Thursday, May 26, 2005

Smooth Sailing

In much of what I have written so far, I have tried to put the law, common sense, and common courtesy at the forefront of my argument while trying to keep opinion to a minimum. When speaking of "good" drivers, much of what I state here is based upon observation and personal opinion. What makes a good driver to me does not necessarily make a good driver to someone else. I intend to start off with items that might be considered as more general truths and then move toward more of my opinion so, please, do not totally discount my arguments before you have read them. The sad part is -- if you believe what I write here -- if you are a good driver and I meet you on the highway I will never know it.

The best drivers are the smoothest drivers: the drivers you never notice. Before I received my motorcycle license, I took a motorcycle safety course. The state where I was issued my license recognized the final test of these courses and waived the driving portion of the license process if you passed the course's test. In this course, one of the instructors said something that stuck with me ever since, "the best riders are the smoothest riders." I find this to also be true when it comes to divers. A smooth driver, one who transitions from lane to lane with out cutting others off, one who does not pull out in front of others, one who uses their turn signals, and one who moves with the flow of traffic is a good driver. I think about all of the people I curse at everyday on the highway and think about how bad so many of the drivers I see really are. The truth is, the percentage of good to bad drivers has probably not changed over the years, there are just far more of all drivers on the highways (highways that have not changed in proportion to the number of drivers using them).

Being a smooth driver takes a certain command and control of the vehicle and a certain confidence in one's abilities. A smooth driver controls the entire car as almost second nature. When a turn is coming up, a turn signal, almost automatically, starts blinking. Breaking action is smooth, purposeful, and rarely a surprise to any following motorist. When breaking concludes with a stop, the car eases to the stop, not rocking hard front to back. A smooth driver has command of the vehicle supported by a constant awareness of their surroundings. A good driver should be able to tell you at any moment the location of all surrounding vehicles and a really good driver will even tell you the difference between cars and trucks: not because they were memorizing the scene in their head but because they are just that aware. Smooth drivers will, more than likely, be able to describe traffic patterns in their typical surroundings, such as the way to and from work or to their favorite restaurant. All of this information flows in and out of a good drivers head without the driver ever considering the issue. Studies have shown clothing, hats, and even cars are an extension of a person's mind space; some people are just better than others are at including their entire car in this space. I do not want to go so far as to say, being a good driver is a gift, mostly because I believe with vigilance and practice anyone can become a better driver. I will likely never, with any amount of practice, be Juan Montoya but, then again, on public roads he may drive like a total ass.

One item I have left out, and this may be obvious, is the necessity of following the rules. Most of what I believe makes up a good driver can be summed up in two parts, 1) do not impede other drivers, and 2) let other drivers know what you are doing. These two points set traffic rules to the side. For example, a good driver may speed to keep up with the flow of traffic, or a good driver may accelerate beyond their intended speed to pass a slower vehicle if this prevents an approaching vehicle, also intending to pass the slower vehicle, from slowing down. Another example, a good driver may be in a rush trying to get to work and in that rush dart from lane to lane to make their way around slower traffic. The only emotional response a good driver should cause in this situation is jealousy because they are so adept at moving their car though traffic so smoothly. A bad driver, on the other hand, can also dart through traffic but will generate rage because they are not using signals and generally cause others to have to slam on their breaks to keep from running into the bad driver. A good driver knows the rules but knows when they may not be appropriate.

If this sounds like way to much to have to be able to do to operate a vehicle you are somewhat correct. A person does not have to embody all of these properties to operate a vehicle. If you find yourself reading this and wondering how you will ever be a good driver do three things, 1) critically asses the way you drive against this description, 2) consciously work and practice to become a better driver, and 3) until you embody most of these characteristics, move over, slow down a bit, quit beating the children, and get off your cell phone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home